01293 413330
Join us on FacebookFollow us on TwitterWatch Videos on our Youtube ChannelFind us on Google MapsPinterestInstagram Pictures
6 December 2019

Frequently Asked Questions


I Have never ridden a motorcycle before?

If you have never ridden a manual motorcycle before we have the perfect course for you to learn in our safe off road training area, these are called New Rider Courses that will give you two hours individual tutition, in line with the Driving Standards Agencies policy of “Modular, Structured Training over a period of time”. This approach, matched to your individual learning ability, will enable you to develop and demonstrate the appropriate skills required to be safe on a motorcycle.

I have a full car licence, what can I ride?

If your licence was issued before 1st February 2001, then you can ride a 50cc moped, capable of not more than 30mph. Strangely enough, you will not need to display L plates, and you can carry a passenger if the motorcycle has a passenger seat and rear footrests. If you want to ride a motorcycle of over 50cc, up to 125cc, you must take Compulsory Basic Training (CBT), you must display L plates, and you must not carry passengers. The CBT certificate is valid for 2 years.

What if my full car licence was issued after 1st February 2001?

Then you will need to take Compulsory Basic training (CBT). Once you have completed this course, you will be able to ride a 50cc moped without L plates, until your licence expires at age 70, and you will also be able to ride a motorcycle of up to 125cc with L plates (no passengers allowed) for 2 years from the date you completed the CBT course.

I have a full car licence, do I need to do a theory test and take CBT to get a full motorcycle licence?

Yes. Everyone must take a motorcycle theory test and CBT before they can take the motorcycle practical test. The only exception is for someone who has already passed a Motorcycle or Moped test, and wants to upgrade to a higher power machine.

I have a provisional licence, what can I ride?

With a provisional licence, you are not allowed to ride on the road until you have completed Compulsory Basic Training. Once you have completed the course you can ride a 50cc moped, or if you are 17 years old or over, with category A on your provisional licence, you can ride a learner legal motorcycle up to 125cc. You will also have to display L plates at all times, and you are not allowed to carry passengers or travel on motorways. Your CBT certificate will only be valid for 2 years, so you will need to renew it, or go on to take your full licence before it expires.

I want to ride a big bike, around 600cc, what do I need to do?

To ride a big bike, you will need a full (A) motorcycle licence. To get one of these, first, you need to be over 24 years old, with either a full car licence, or a provisional licence showing Category A. Next, you will need to pass the Motorcycle Theory test (phone 0870 0101372, with your driving licence number, to book.) Then you will need to complete Compulsory Basic training (CBT). Then you can go on to take your Motorcycle Practical Test, which must be taken on a machine of OVER 595cc, 54.4bhp or 40kw to qualify for the full licence. (if you want to practice for the test on a motorcycle of more than 125cc, you MUST be accompanied by a DSA approved instructor, not just a friend with a full licence.)

I want to ride a big bike, around 600cc, but I'm not 24 years old yet. Is there anything I can do?

Yes! If you are between 19 and 24 years old you can take the A2 licence route. You will need to start with a licence showing provisional Category A, then you need to pass the Motorcycle theory test, complete Compulsory Basic Training, then go on to pass your Practical Motorcycle test on a 395cc+ machine. Once you have passed, you will have a full category A2 licence, which entitles you to ride any SIZE motorcycle, provided it does not produce more than 47bhp, or 35kw. Many larger motorcycles can be restricted to this power limit, and the good news is that once you have held a full A2 licence for 2 years, regardless of your age you only need to do the M1 & M2 test again on a 595cc+ bike to gain the full A licence and thenyou can ride any motorcycle you fancy.

I took my CBT on a 50cc moped when I was 16 years old. I'm now 17 and I would like to ride a 125cc bike. What do I need to do?

First, check that your licence shows Category A provisional. If so, you can ride a 125cc machine for as long as your CBT certificate lasts. If your licence doesn't have Category A showing, you will need to apply to D.V.L.A Swansea to get it added on. Once you have got your licence back, you will be able to ride a 125cc machine until your CBT certificate expires.

I took my CBT on an automatic scooter. Can I ride a motorcycle with clutch and gears?

Yes, provided you comply with the age and engine size/power restrictions mentioned above, the CBT is normally valid for either type of transmission.

I took my full licence test on an automatic scooter.Can I ride a motorcycle with clutch and gears?

A full licence taken on a motorcycle with automatic transmission will only act as a provisional licence for manual bikes, so you will be limited to 125cc with L plates, until you pass a Practical test on a motorcycle with manual transmission.

I'm 16 years old, and I've completed my CBT. Is there a test I can do to ride a bigger bike?

No. You can take a full Moped test, by first passing the theory and then the moped practical test. You would then be entitled to ride without L plates, and carry a passenger, but you would still be limited to 50cc and 30mph.

I have a Full Car licence. Do I need to change it, to add provisional motorcycle entitlement to it, before I can start training for a Motorcycle Licence?

In most cases, no. Normally a full car licence would already have provisional motorcycle entitlement, shown as Category A in the green section of an old style paper licence, or on the counterpart of a photocard licence.( You must still have a valid Compulsory Basic training certificate before riding any motorcycle on the road).

I have a provisional licence, issued a few years ago. Will I need to change it or renew it before I start training for a Motorcycle Licence?

Probably yes! Many older provisional licences had a 2 year limit on Category A, motorcycle entitlement. The good news is that the 2 year limit no longer applies, but you MUST have it renewed by D.V.L.A Swansea if it has expired, otherwise you will not be able to ride anything bigger than a 50cc moped, even if you have a valid CBT Certificate. D.V.L.A usually take about 3 weeks to exchange a licence

Our Industry Registrations and Associations
DVSA-LogoMCIACROSPAFirst Biker On Scene - First aid for bikesrsGet On Training